Thursday, February 09, 2006

Stuff I've Done So Far to Promote Boritom

Obviously, when you do a webcomic (or you're in a band, you make independent films, you write blathering diatribes about political bullshit, etc.), you want people to check it out. I know I do. I'm an attention whore... always have been, and I always will be. I wish I could say I do it for my own pleasure, but that would be a lie, except to say that I derive the highest spike of endorphines by having people enjoy my work. If it were just for me, what would be the point of putting up a website, eh?

Here's an incomplete (and quite possibly somewhat inaccurate) list of stuff I've done to try to make Boritom the most famous webcomic in the universe (second only to Something Positive, of course):
- Greeting Cards
- Flyers
- Link Exchanges
- Banner Exchanges
- Signing up on "Top Webcomics" lists
- Spamming webcomic oriented message boards and LJ communities (Learned my lesson there, I'll tell ya)
- Link Dumps (Generated 1,000 hits in 2 weeks, then nada)
- Opened a Cafe Press store (Maybe, one day, I'll actually sell something)
- Talked it up at work
- Talked it up with my friends
- Begged my friends to talk it up with their other friends
- Called an FM Radio morning show and dropped the plug on the air for my site.
- Bought ad space on a website that went defunct before my ad even ran.
- Used the name as my login ID on numerous communities and sites, including FARK.
- Promised God not to curse anymore if he would just help me make the strip into an animated series for [adult swim]

All this, and I still am lucky to get 20 hits a day.

My co-writer, Eileen Heath, has been trying to help me punch up the writing, but there must be something I can do to make it known to people in a broader scale, without breaking the bank (which is, thanks to the IRS this year, already broken).

I mean, Holy Flark, whatsaguy gotta do to become America's Sweetheart, have b***sex with the freaking Olsen Twins on the PBS Boston Pops 4th of July Extravaganza while William Shatner and Lee Majors square off in a steel cage deathmatch to the music of Akira Ifukbe's score to Godzilla Vs. Destoroyah?

So, yeah... go to my site, tell your friends, and if you have any ideas, comment!

Thanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home